Classroom Management Tips
Online Classroom Management Tips
The Office of Student Conduct and CARE Team are dedicated to ensuring a productive, safe virtual classroom for all students and instructors.
Establish Classroom/Course Expectations
- Communicate expectations early and often and provide these expectations in multiple places for easy reference (e.g., on the course syllabus, within the learning management system)
- Use general etiquette and ask students to do the same (e.g., mute microphones when not speaking, raise hand virtually to ask a question, turn off camera if you’re stepping away)
- Review privacy guidelines (e.g., recording classes)
o Recording of classes is not prohibited – and may even be encouraged – but students should be reminded that inappropriate use of recordings is a violation of WVU policy.
4. Discussions (e.g., you can disagree with others but should do so respectfully and constructively)
Examples of Disruptive Behavior
• Offensive/inappropriate discussion posts or submissions
• Harassment of others, either inside or outside of the course space
• Inappropriate or concerning behavior in a synchronous session
• Confrontational classroom or group discussions
• Inappropriate or confrontational email communications or telephone calls
Managing Disruptive Behavior
• Monitor all course spaces, especially if you provide students breakout discussion areas to chat and collaborate
• React promptly to offensive commentary or content
• Encourage students to communicate instances of disruptive behaviors
• Document consistent and repetitive disruptive behaviors and report these cases promptly either to the Office of Student Conduct or CARE Team
Escalating Concerns about Disruptive Behavior
• If the instructor believes the behavior is a violation of the Student Code of Conduct, file a public report at https://studentconduct.wvu.edu or contact the Office of Student Conduct at firstname.lastname@example.org.• If the instructor believes a student is in crisis or at-risk, file a CARE referral at https://wvuadvocate.symplicity.com/care_report or contact the CARE Team at CARETeam@mail.wvu.edu if you have questions.